Access to the Elemente der Naturwissenschaft
for libraries and educational institutions
In order to meet the various requirements of educational institutions, in addition to a traditional subscription for the online and print editions, we offer two further access models, both of which provide unlimited access to all the articles in the Elemente der Naturwissenschaft. We try to provide very fair solutions and link all our access models to the Elemente with incremental open access. Information is given below and in our information leaflet Access for educational institutions.
Print and online subscription
With this option your institution or library may subscribe to the printed Elemente journal for the price of a private individual subscription and is permitted to make the journal publicly available. Unrestricted online access within your network is included for all purchased issues of the journal.
Modified Pay-Per-View Access with a subscription on demand option
As an alternative we also offer a modified Pay-Per-View (PPV) access which you can choose to make available to a restricted user group by means of an access code or to all users in your network. When an article is downloaded, the relevant PPV fees become payable and will be invoiced to your institution at the end of the calendar year.
Our PPV model differs from the classical PPV model in three key areas:
- The period of ownership, i.e. the period during which the same article can be downloaded in your network without further PPV fees, is not the standard 24 hours but the current calendar year! Within the current year you therefore pay the PPV fee once at most for each article, even if the article is accessed by different people several times (e.g. for a seminar).
- After reaching the maximum yearly invoice price of 108 EUR all further downloads of any articles in the Elemente are free to your institution! This equals 18 articles (at EUR 6 per article) which you have to pay for, even though for example, 57 different articles were downloaded multiple times during the year. However, in the case of systematic mass downloads we reserve the right to temporarily restrict your access.
- If an article is repeatedly downloaded in more than six years, then it counts as having been permanently purchased, as in a subscription model (subscription on demand option). There are therefore no more PPV fees due for any downloads of this article in subsequent years. Over the years you therefore only pay for an article a maximum of six times.
The benefits of this modified PPV model consist of unlimited access to all issues without any fixed costs: you pay upon download only; there is no risk of paying for an article twice in the same year and there is automatic acquisition of articles downloaded frequently; there is no prepaid credit balance (token) but there is a cost cap which does not put any kind of restriction on access!
Journal subscription with modified Pay-Per-View access to issues not subscribed to
With this access option your institution or library may subscribe to the printed Elemente journal for the price of a private single individual subscription and is permitted to make the journal publicly available. Unrestricted online access within your network is included for all purchased issues of the journal.
PPV access is available for issues not subscribed to under the conditions described above in the PPV model, but with the following additional benefits:
- Your institution will also be allocated the subscription price of the printed version as a PPV credit balance. This means that: if only a few articles are downloaded from non-purchased issues whose PPV fees total less than the annual subscription price, then your institution will not incur any extra costs. The extended period of ownership of one calendar year also applies, i.e. your credit balance will not be reduced by repeated downloads of the same article.
- When the credit balance is used up, then the relevant PPV fees apply to every further download of an article not previously viewed, however only until the maximum PPV invoice total of EUR 78 has been reached. All further downloads of non-purchased issues are free. (So you pay for a maximum of 13 different articles from non-purchased issues.)
- The PPV fees add up to the annual subscription costs of the printed journal, with your institution not paying more than EUR 108 per year in total.
This option combines the benefits of the subscription model with the benefits of the PPV model, without you being subject to the disadvantages of the traditional subscription or PPV models.
Access options for digital and virtual libraries and
institutions with non-localised user groups
Virtual libraries and online portals can use the modified PPV access under similar conditions to conventional libraries and public institutions, but usually without the extended ownership period for an article downloaded once and without permanent acquisition of the article after six PPV fee payments (multi-site licence). The demand in your institution will be ascertained in a three year evaluation phase. During this period we must reserve the right to adjust the maximumamount (i.e. the cost cap) if necessary, if the number of downloads of different articles per year is in the three-figure range. Individual access options may also be appropriate in this case. Please contact us for further information.