Computerised texture image analysis of biocrystallisation images
The five main conclusions of my investigations were:
1) So far several studies using computerised image analysis have been published, which were able to discriminate in a relevant manner between specific samples.
2) The approaches can be divided into textural and more structural approaches.
3) In some studies results were improved when introducing more structural elements into a textural approach.
4) Due to the structural character of a biocrystallisation picture we may expect that ultimately a structural approach will be most succesful.
5) We may not expect that image analysis will be able to reflect the ‘Gestalt’ level of the samples, and is only a helpful tool in combination with visual evaluation.